October 18, 2010

I Would Have Taken Your Place


Time stood still when you were in the water
Calling to God was all I knew to do
9-1-1, hair plastered, your clothes dripping
My body ached to hold you

Wail of sirens, body board, neck collar,
Calming words, maintaining control
Had I given you a happy life? Did you feel loved?
Had God saved your soul?


The blur of sounds in the ER
Severe pain, fear, dread
Touching you, looking in your eyes
I wished to God that it were me instead


Many parents have known the feeling
A hurt child -- others see him as a man
My little boy, I could lose him
How can this be part of the Plan?


Minutes became hours
Hours have become days
Time has changed life
You've grown in so many ways


Always so proud of who you are
Now, even more so
Using this time to further help others
To mentally and spiritually grow


Cliches have real meaning now
The plight of others more understood
To everything there is a season
All things really do work together for good

Connie Riggs



2 comments:

Melissa said...

so glad you shared your amazing story...

lisa said...

Awesome Connie.. God is really good and His Grace is sufficient.. Barley is blessed to have such loving and God fearing parents..

Thanks for sharing this ..

Love it..

Lisa

__________________________________________________